Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Stories Stories Stories

Tools Digital Storytelling
When I was a young child, I loved to hear stories from my Grandparents. As I grew, I found solice in books and poems. Later there were movies, filmclips and even cartoons. In other words, I love stories.
Tim Sheppard has what is probably the biggest collection of storytelling resources on the web, annotated and categorised for easy reference.

Today, we can encourage story telling and creativity through digital stories.

What is digital storytelling?


Narration with multimedia. The Center for Digital Storytelling (http://www.storycenter.org/) lists and describes seven elements that can be used in digital storytelling.

1. Point of View
2. A Dramatic Question
3. Emotional Content
4. The Gift of your Voice
5. The Power of the Soundtrack
6. Economy
7. Pacing


This example by Craig Jacobson incorporates many of these elements: http://www.wmich.edu/pt3/ds/look.html

How does it apply in a K-12 classroom?
The best way to understand,is to experience some student products:
http://www.scott.k12.ky.us/technology/digitalstorytelling/ds.html
From Scott County Schools located in Georgetown, Kentucky.

Have you already had some students produce digital stories? Do you have some examples? If so, tell us about them here and post any links. Just use the Comment link below.

Check out more examples and information at my Site.

I still hear, "Nice, but I can't do it with my class."?

Here is a cookbook to help you with your project.
Let me know how it goes and continue to enable your students to keep their love of stories live.

1 comment:

As-I-Am said...

Very noble of you to be in education. I've found teachers and Professors to be some of the most inspiring people in life. best of luck with your blog.